Today’s semi-trucks rely on air brakes to effectively stop the heavy vehicle. An air brake system depends on multiple components to work as they should and one of the most important components is that of the air compressor. When the air compressor stops working, it is not only a performance concern, but it becomes a serious safety issue as well.
Why is the Air Compressor Important?
A truck’s air compressor pumps the air into storage tanks so that it can later be used in the truck’s air brake system. The compressor also has a governor, which controls the cut-in and cut-out point of the air compressor and maintains a set amount of air in the tank at all times. If either of these components fails or wears down, it can affect the entire braking system.
The compressor works in several steps to supply air to the air brake system, which include:
- Compressed air is first routed through a cooling coil and filtered through an air dryer to remove any moisture and impurities. The governor will control how much air is sent through the system.
- The compressed air is then stored in the reservoir tank.
- When needed, the air is then distributed via a four-way protection valve to the front and rear air brake circuits.
Is it Time for a New Compressor?
Air compressors do not last forever and due to the extra demand made on them daily, they may wear out faster than the actual air brakes. Some symptoms that may indicate it is time for repair or replacement include:
- The ESS piston is leaking when it is pressurised
- The compressor’s safety valve keeps falling off
- The air dryer’s valve and compressor are cycling rapidly for no reason
- The compressor is failing to unload the air
- The system is building air pressure slowly or not building pressure at all
- The compressor is clearly leaking air
- The compressor has been used frequently
Finding the Right Air Compressor for Your Truck
If your truck’s air compressor is showing the signs of damage that are beyond repair, it is imperative that you find the proper replacement part for your truck. You can purchase used truck parts in Surrey to repair specific components of your compressor or simply purchase a new compressor outright.
99 Truck Parts offers new and used truck parts in Surrey, including air compressors and air brake components. To find a compressor unit for your truck, call us toll-free at 800-663-6460 or contact us online with your questions.